Original Comiskey Park, Chicago, Illinois
Charles Comiskey wanted a new modern ballpark for his team. Comiskey commissioned architect Zachary Taylor Davis and pitcher Ed Walsh to visit ballparks across the country, to pick out the best features to use in a new ballpark. During this time Comiskey purchased a 14 acre tract of land, three blocks from South Side Park that was once used as the city landfill, to construct his ballpark on. Construction began on February 15, 1910 and was named White Sox Park. A green cornerstone was laid on St. Patrick’s Day and it was completed in just five months. ©R. Allan Schnoor
Advertisements